Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sept. 29, 1935

Sept. 29, 1935
Laramie, Wyoming

Dear Fay:

I hope that you don't tear this up before you read farther, because I have something I want to say to you--possibly, it is something you would care to hear.

A while back I promised myself that I would never bother you again. But that sort of a promise is, and should be, easy to break.  It is probably needless to tell you that my feelings or pride or something was hurt because you had not answered my last couple of letters.  For that reason, I resolved that you would have to do the peace making.

It wasn't until yesterday that I began to see that my attitude was rather silly and childlike.  I don't know what attitude you are going to assume toward the matter, though I can guess.  Suffice it to say that the other day as I was looking at your picture on my desk I suddenly realized that I had lost your friendship thru nobody's fault but my own.  So in order to square myself, not only with you but with my own conscience, I am writing this to tell you that I am sorry for my past performance and to ask--at the cost of what may be only false pride but is certainly an acute one---that you forgive them.  I have done very few things of which I have been more ashamed than of the way I have acted toward you.  A famous Greek philosopher once said that qualms of conscience were a sign of virtue, I hope you see the matter so.

I have never before written such a letter as this, nor, for that matter, have I ever spoken such sentiments.  But I am somewhat changed lately.  Circumstances of late have shown me that I am not as perfect as I had been thinking.  I have begun to examine my own actions and attitudes and I find that I have a good many scores against me.  And, although I am still not a sissy, I have for the last three months stopped drinking, carousing around, etc., and I am now a churchman.  And I am having more fun than ever.  I will likely get to heaven yet!

I don't care what you do with this; print it, show it to your friends, or frame it and hang it on the wall, suit yourself.  I will be glad anyhow that I sent it.  You have always meant, and still mean more to me than any other girl I have ever known, so this is the least I can do.

As ever--
Lee R.
>---> 611 Custer Ave., Laramie

No comments:

Post a Comment