Sunday, September 15, 2013

July 3, 1935


171 No. 6 St.
Laramie, Wyo.
July 3, 1935
 
 
Dear Fay --
 
Far be it from me to begin a letter with an apology, but I hope we are not mad at each other.  If we are, write and tell me at once.  If we aren't ---- ?
 
Well, I hope that you are beautiful as ever and twice as popular -- even as I am.  I was hoping to see you again this summer, but I don't know if the gods have so ordained it.  I saw a girl playing tennis here today who looked very much like you.  Would you have believed it possible?  Still, beauty is universal.  Are you still with me?  That's  you I am talking about.  I was all ready to compare you to an orchid a second ago, but I forgot how I was going to lead up to it.  It just goes to show that my great-grandfather Murphy kissed the Blarney Stone, anyhow.
 
I am not sure when our correspondence first entered this slump, so I'll just have to tell you how good I am now, and leave out the cute things I have said and done in between now and then.  I could rave on further about your own maddening charms, but I know my own better and I am counting on you to toot your own horn.  In simpler language, write and tell me about yourself, your likes, your boy friends (or husbands), your family --tell me all !?!
 
To get on with the tale of my own promising (!) career: -- I finished the school year in a whirl of smoke.  My average for last quarter was 2.3, and for the year, 2.28.  That wasn't bad for me. Last quarter I cut about 2/3 of my classes and was still a long way above average.  What a smart boy!  The Dean of the Law School wants me to take law.  I don't know how he found out that I could keep my grades up and still cut classes to drink beer.  That is a requisite for a law student.  But I have decided not to become a lawyer -- couldn't use the extra income a lawyer receives.
 
Since school let out I have become a working-man.  I worked for a week on the ranch of a Prof here.  The ranch was in the Snowy Range at the altitude of 8500 feet.  We didn't dare cough up there for fear we wouldn't be able to catch another breath of air in time to keep from choking to death.  My pall and I and a cowboy set fence for a week there.  We worked so industriously that the boss gave us a bonus when we quit.  Ranch wages, however, are only $1 a day and board and room.  We needed the bonus!  The ranch was truly a beautiful place and the week was almost like an outing.
 
Since I returned from there I have been working on a new building going up on the campus.  I have a pretty good job on it which pays me quite well, and I am living well now for my little income and intend to save some, buy new clothes, and come home and buy you an ice cream cone (or the season may then require chili) with the rest.  The job itself will put me thru about half the next year at school, I believe.
 
 
You couldn't imagine a duller place to spend the fourth of July.  However, I am going to spend it here.  I am afflicted with no monia just now, and can't do otherwise.  I wanted to come, but I couldn't because I have to work Fri. and Sat. and can't afford to lose either the job or the hours of work.  We are batching at the address I gave you above.  Three of us are renting the whole five-room house (a good place in which to throw parties).  It is a very nice placer -- almost like home.
 
Hoping you deem this little attempt worthy of an answer---
 
I remain -- one among many -- your urgent (or do I mean ardent?) suitor
 
Lee R
 


No comments:

Post a Comment