Sunday, September 15, 2013

November 10, 1934

Dear Fay:

I was glad to hear from you. It was very much the same as receiving a letter from the dead.  As a matter of fact, I was about to write and see if I could find anything about your disappearance.  I read thru all of the daily papers to find whether you had been kidnapped.  --And then, as an anticlimax, came your letter.  I was so relieved to find that you were safe and sound that I forgot to write the letter.  --Sad (!?), isn't it.

If you will forgive the beginning, I will begin again.  "I guess I mean, try again).  In other words, how are you, is your dad making money, is the weather OK., are you going to enough dances to suit you, and are you enjoying your college education in spite of the studies?  I, too, am quite well, thank you.  I passed all of my mid-term exams, and passed up four or five good chances to get drunk.  I am living the life of a hermit except when I go to dances or to the library to see the girls walk down the aisles.

This batching is alright except that I have to make the bed and wipe the dishes and do a few other small jobs.  We eat pretty fair except when we are not eating out.  We don't eat out at all.  So you see that if you felt like sending us a box of candy or something, --that would be humanitarianism.  If you don't recognize the big word (or some of the others) send the candy anyhow.

I guess it's time for me to start bragging.  I made an I (same as an A) for my mid-term grade in Logic (a Philosophy course).  It was the only I given in the class, too.  Am I good, or am I good!?  I had better than a II average for all my grades at mid-quarter.  I am thinking of taking a philosophy minor.  I already have two minors.

If you were here tonight, we would go to the university dance.  But, as it is, I guess neither f us will go.  I am too lazy to go, and you are not here.  I'll sit at home with my feet in the oven and dream.  "All I do is dream of you the whole day through"  Get the idea?  I'm anxious to know.  Write soon and tell me.

Well, hoping that you are either good or careful.  I am.

Yours till infinity

Leander
Lee Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment