Thursday, September 6, 2012

June 4, 1932

(Written on envelope:
Lee Richards
145th field artillery regiment
Camp W.G. Williams
Jordan Narrows, Utah)

Dear Fay,

I don't know whether you know what has happened to me or not, but here I am in camp. Maybe you think we haven't been working - just a minute I've got to go and see some guys over in the battery get initiated, they are getting the ant curse-

Well as I was saying I've been working plenty hard for a change. First we practice and then we go parade and then we play a concert. [He played the french horn.] In between times we police up the camp and clean out the tents! We make our beds up one way one day and another way the next day. We have to change our uniforms on an average of 5 times a day. As this is Sat. afternoon I have plenty of time and I am going to rest and write letters.

We've sure had luck in getting a good, clean bunch in our tent. You know Si Taylor, and Wayne, and Clyde Moore they are in my tent.

I guess I'll go over to Lehi tonight to a dance or sumpin. I deserve a change. What gets your goat is the hours you have to keep here. We get up at 5 A.X. and go to bed at 10:30 P.X. and you know I'm used to 8 hours of sleep every night.

We had an inspection this morning - first the band and then the tent was inspected. When they inspected the tent I was in no. 1 cot. I stood there at the head of the bed while the Colonel messed up my cot. I couldn't help smiling when he grabbed the foot of the cot and dumped eveything off. Oh yeah I got a kick out of that.

I hope you are having a good time with all your boyfriends. This is mostly work and no play.

There's a lot more I could say - (This is the day after I started the letter) - but I have to quit.

So hasta la vista,
Lee Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment